The object of the game of GlobalSiege is to capture every territory on the board and wipe out all of your opponents’ forces, or to complete a secret mission issued at the start of the war. To win, you must launch decisive attacks with aggression, cunning and boldness while defending your borders on all fronts. Just when you think world domination or your secret mission is within your grasp, your opponent might launch a surprise attack on one of your strategic strongholds and bring you to your knees.
Luck only plays a small part on the road to victory. Careful planning and a cunning strategy play a major role in the outcome of a war. Those who haven’t got what it takes risk being wiped out before they knew what hit ‘em. You must attack your opponents’ armies without leaving yourself defenseless and at risk of attack. If your defenses do get penetrated, you must have a back up plan to recover from your losses and to mitigate the ever present risk of further attack.
As a war simulator, GlobalSiege is a game where the strong get stronger and the weak get obliterated but the cunning will nearly always win. And that is exactly what happens in a real war except without the risk. Do YOU have what it takes to win?
GlobalSiege is has been released as open source under the GNU GPL v3 Open Source License. You can find the source code on GitHub at https://github.com/eldougo. Detailed GlobalSiege technical information for developers can be found in ‘GlobalSiege Technical Manual.doc’ in the source repository for.GlobalSiege Beta 3.4.exe
- Now hosted on GitHub. Download the by right-clicking the link above and select "Save As", remembering where you saved it. When the download is complete, find and run GlobalSiege-0.9.0315 by double-clicking with the left mouse button. You will need administrator privileges to install this application.
- Version: 0.9.0315
- File Date: 24-Feb-2014
- Platform: Windows
- Install & uninstall support: Yes
- License: GNU GPL v3
- Source: https://github.com/eldougo
What is GlobalSiege?
GlobalSiege is a highly configurable yet easy and fast to play strategy game of world domination. GlobalSiege can be played against robot players programmed with a fairly sophisticated AI or online against some of the best human players in the world.
GlobalSiege is Highly Configurable
GlobalSiege is highly configurable allowing you to customize your wars to your own battle requirements. GlobalSiege can be set up to emulate other world domination games such as the Parker Brother’s famous board game Risk(tm), or you can create your own original online war game with your own rules.
It must be emphasized that GlobalSiege is not Risk and is unrelated to Parker Brothers or Hasbro (Hasbro are the trademark owners of Risk). Playing GlobalSiege as a substitute for Risk is purely at the discretion of the player.
GlobalSiege is Free
GlobalSiege is free and open source under the GNU GPL v3 Open Source License, meaning it is free to down load, free to use, free to play offline and online and free to upgrade. Being open source, you can download the source code from GitHub and do what you like with it, as long as it remains open sourced. The GitHub repositories can be found at https://github.com/eldougo.
GlobalSiege is not the only World Domination Game available
There are many excellent world domination games available and many of them are very Risk-like. You are encouraged to try them out and decide for your self which ones you like best. Unfortunately some publishers feel it necessary to stifle competition using legal means or misleading information. Other publishers claim outright that their product “is the best”. Try their products despite their “big noting” and judge for your self. I think you will soon find out why they need to stoop to methods such as these 😉
- GlobalSiege is highly configurable allowing you to customize your wars to your own battle requirements. You can set GlobalSiege up to emulate other world domination games such as Parker Brother’s Risk or you can make up your own rules and create your own original war game.
- A clean and uncluttered battle display that can be resized to suite your preferences.
- Tight Internet security achieved through encryption, obfuscation and auditing.
- An auditing system to prevent cheating when battling over the Internet and a counter to help detect cheats (thanks to Clem).
- An automatic connection announcement set by the host which displays session information and arbitrary text to terminals when they connect.
- A voting system to allow remote terminals to force turns to be forfeited and to kick nuisance players from an Internet session.
- Cards are pre-selected when you are forced to trade or when the cards across the top are clicked. This was designed to help new players.
- The Info Box will flash when it is your turn. This can be turned off from the Options menu if you find it annoying.
- Ongoing development ensures that bugs and undocumented features are fixed quickly.
- GlobalSiege is has been released as open source under the GNU GPL v3.